Floodplain Elevation Certificates

When providing a mortgage on a property near a body of water, the lender may require flood elevation certificate which proves the structures they are mortgaging are properly elevated above the flood elevation and to show compliance with the floodplain management ordinance. Communities participating in the Community Rating System (CRS) are required to use the FEMA Elevation Certificate.

I’ve just been told I’m in a flood zone or I’ve been told I need an elevation certificate in order to obtain flood insurance or prove I don’t need it.